Code Hosting, Development Tools and Open Source

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Mon Oct 14 19:38:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:50:36 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 10:52 AM, Tim Flink wrote:
> >> You all are using gerrit, right? Have you been happy with it WRT
> >> features, maintenance etc? I've been getting the impression that
> >> there are a lot of people who aren't thrilled with it but I've
> >> not actually tried to use it myself.
>
> Yes, we use Gerrit + cgit on beaker-project.org:
>
>     http://gerrit.beaker-project.org/#/q/status:open,n,z
>     http://git.beaker-project.org/cgit/
>
> It's not likely to please the "I want a GUI" crowd, but submitting and
> updating patches works nicely from the command line:
>

> http://beaker-project.org/dev/guide/writing-a-patch.html#submitting-your-patch
>
> And then we use the Gerrit web UI for reviews.

Cool, thanks for the info. I recall asking you all about the
maintenance burden before and it sounded minimal, am I remembering
correctly?

> Our issue tracking is an awkward combination of Bugzilla (for upstream
> product defect and RFE tracking - which makes it convenient to kick
> problems in the direction of the anaconda team when appropriate) and
> JIRA Agile (for internal planning and management of the core team's
> contributions), so you probably don't want to follow our lead on that
> front.

Yeah, I've been hearing some pretty negative things about using JIRA in
small organizations who don't have a dedicated admin or are willing to
follow the default workflows, so I'm leaning towards not going that
route.

Thanks,

Tim