Code Hosting, Development Tools and Open Source

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 15 15:22:34 UTC 2013

> I've been kicking this idea around for a bit and have chatted a little
> with people on IRC but as we're looking to start up development on
> taskbot, I want to have a larger discussion on two issues: where do we
> host code and what do we want to use for dev support tools (issue
> tracking, code review etc.).

My thoughts:

* We should avoid self-hosting as much as possible. If we consider something self-hosted, it should be far better than something managed by a third-party.

* Anonymous viewing is a must for an open-source.

* FAS integration is ideal, but not strictly necessary, if we use a widely popular service (like github). If we force people to create an account in our self-hosted service just to report a bug, we won't receive many bug reports.

As you described Phabricator, it doesn't seem to be ready yet (no anonymous viewing, no FAS integration). I might have misunderstood something, but were you considering to implement that? That doesn't sound as a few days task. If the two issues were not there, I'd like to give it a try, it definitely sounds interesting.

I like Github, but it really might be too simplified for our use cases. I haven't studied these advanced tasks like moving a bug report to a different project, but it seems you have. (On the other hand, does Trac support this particular task?). It might be a good idea to ask fedora-infra guys about their experience.

Fedorahosted + Reviewboard is far from ideal. Lately you and Martin have been using it the most, so I think you're the best people to say whether we want to stay with it or move away from it. Thanks very much for investigating this.