Proposal: No Cloud Disposable Clients

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 5 02:29:41 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 06:56:08PM -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> > This seems both sane and useful to me, but we _will_ want to run at
> > least some tests in the actual cloud environments. Should that stuff
> > go _back_ to fedimg?
> As I understand it, most of the stuff that the cloud folks want to test
> can be done on the cloud image in any virt environment.

Most, yes. But...

> There are a couple of things I can think of that would require the full
> cloud system (does the image boot and have ssh connectivity in Open
> Stack, AWS etc.) but I think that stuff is somewhat orthogonal to how
> the client is booted.

"Does it boot?" is definitely key, but there's also other
metadata-service related things to test. (Is the userdata read
correctly? Is the hostname set? ...) And then there are some
environment-specific tests we might want, too. (Can we retrieve the
system logs via an API call?)

But...

> It's probably worth asking the question of whether some tests should be
> in fedimg. If I'm right and the only credential-requiring tests are
> whether or not the image boots in <service> and we can ssh into it, it
> might make more sense to put that into fedimg and not deal with the
> credential issue in Taskotron.

Maybe we start with just the basic test there and not worry about the
above until we're _way_ further along on having any automated tests at
all.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>