Proposal: No Cloud Disposable Clients

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Sat Dec 6 01:39:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 21:29:41 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 06:56:08PM -0700, Tim Flink wrote:
> > > This seems both sane and useful to me, but we _will_ want to run
> > > at least some tests in the actual cloud environments. Should that
> > > stuff go _back_ to fedimg?
> > As I understand it, most of the stuff that the cloud folks want to
> > test can be done on the cloud image in any virt environment.
>
> Most, yes. But...
>
> > There are a couple of things I can think of that would require the
> > full cloud system (does the image boot and have ssh connectivity in
> > Open Stack, AWS etc.) but I think that stuff is somewhat orthogonal
> > to how the client is booted.
>
> "Does it boot?" is definitely key, but there's also other
> metadata-service related things to test. (Is the userdata read
> correctly? Is the hostname set? ...) And then there are some
> environment-specific tests we might want, too. (Can we retrieve the
> system logs via an API call?)
>
> But...

OK, I wasn't aware of those cases. Good to know that there are more
things to test on cloud providers beyond "does the instance work in
that system"

> > It's probably worth asking the question of whether some tests
> > should be in fedimg. If I'm right and the only credential-requiring
> > tests are whether or not the image boots in <service> and we can
> > ssh into it, it might make more sense to put that into fedimg and
> > not deal with the credential issue in Taskotron.
>
> Maybe we start with just the basic test there and not worry about the
> above until we're _way_ further along on having any automated tests at
> all.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. I don't think that we'd be losing much if
any cloud testing by not using OpenStack for disposable clients. Even
if we did use OpenStack, we'd still need to figure out how to interface
with most other cloud systems within a task in order to test official
cloud images in cloud systems.

We'd have to build custom images in order for OpenStack to work for the
disposable client use case - the official images wouldn't be an option
due to the bits required to interface with buildbot.

Tim