Installation observations

Neale Ferguson neale at sinenomine.net
Thu Jan 27 14:44:49 UTC 2011

I installed Fedora 14 yesterday in a 1GB virtual machine. The install went
smoothly except that when I clicked ³Reboot² after the installation finished
it didn¹t. The unmounts took place but that's about as far as it went. Bash
was still responsive but as there was nothing mounted no commands could be
entered. A #CP IPL command kicked things off again.

When I was up the eth0 device defined in the install process was present but
unconfigured. I entered ifup eth0 and it magically configured itself and I
was online.

I installed a basic server and then used yum to install the other stuff I
was interested in. Some problems:
- system-config-network requires python-iwlib but it isn't found by yum (I
assume it was probably in the installation repository but it's not in those
found in fedora.repo)
- system-config-users really needs dejavu fonts but it's not a dependency.
Without it you get garbage for text

Neale