Installation observations

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Thu Jan 27 21:34:43 UTC 2011

Neale Ferguson píše v Čt 27. 01. 2011 v 08:44 -0600:
> I installed Fedora 14 yesterday in a 1GB virtual machine. The install went
> smoothly except that when I clicked ³Reboot² after the installation finished
> it didn¹t. The unmounts took place but that's about as far as it went. Bash
> was still responsive but as there was nothing mounted no commands could be
> entered. A #CP IPL command kicked things off again.
>
> When I was up the eth0 device defined in the install process was present but
> unconfigured. I entered ifup eth0 and it magically configured itself and I
> was online.

not sure it this is true also in F-14, but in RHEL-6 with the minimal
installation you must start/enable the "network" service manually
because the NetworkManager service, normally taking care of the network
interfaces, is not installed there

> I installed a basic server and then used yum to install the other stuff I
> was interested in. Some problems:
> - system-config-network requires python-iwlib but it isn't found by yum (I
> assume it was probably in the installation repository but it's not in those
> found in fedora.repo)

python-iwlib is missing completely in F-14, it was originally excluded
from the s390(x) package set and it was kept by mistake on the list of
packages that are skipped during build, I will add it as a F-14 update

F-15 should be OK

> - system-config-users really needs dejavu fonts but it's not a dependency.
> Without it you get garbage for text

hm, is this really specific to system-config-users or are also other GUI
applications affected?

Dan