sound within sandboxed firefox

Dominick Grift dominick.grift at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 14:50:56 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-08 at 20:54 +0000, fedorauser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running my firefox in a SELinux sandbox, but have the following problem:
>
> Sound will always play via the integrated speakers but never on the
> "remote" screen (which is attached via HDMI).

Does it work with SELinux is permissive mode? (just a test)

I am not so familiar with sandbox but the technology has at least two
elements to consider.

1. the SELinux policy: difficulties with policy are usually easy to fix

2. mount name spaces: issues with regard to this are probably harder to
solve.

By determining whether it works in permissive mode you might be able
quickly rule out an issue with 1.

I can speculate but that's probably not so constructive.

A simple explanation of the mount name space is that sandbox has its own
vie of the home directory. So it might not aware (see) of the pulse
audio socket. So it might not be able to use the sound server, which
might be needed for the hdmi-audio functionality

That is speculation at this point though