FC12 -- Strange system crash

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 20 20:55:01 UTC 2010

FC12 on an HP nc2400.  Recent install, Dec 31st.  Uptodate as of
1/19/10.  System uptime was 14 days with many updates over this time.
System was beginning to bog down, I was considering killing Firefox
(over 20 browser sessions open with multiple tabs) and was opening a
.pptx doc here at the IEEE 802.15 meeting.

Why things were slowly working on opening the document, I noticed the
fan going to full speed and then the video did a bright flash and the
system was off.

I had to power back up.  I watched all the inode recovery for all the
docs I had open.  Once I was logged in, I checked /var/log/messages, and
of course there was nothing there prior to the boot messages (prior
message was an dhcp message for when I moved from my hotel room on the
hotel wireless to the conference room to the conference wireless).

Of interest was my system had lost its time setting.  It was showing me
in Boston, when I had come from Detroit and was currently in Los
Angeles.  When I changed my location to LA, it was still showing my time
off by 2 hours.  I had to turn off ntp, manually set the time, then
reset to use ntp.

I don't have any idea on how to trace this down and MAYBE submit a bug
report.  I might think it is ACPI related as the fan turned up to full
speed just prior to the crash.  I has a similar crash shortly after the
FC12 install.

Thoughts?