FC12 -- Strange system crash

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Jan 20 20:29:01 UTC 2010

> FC12 on an HP nc2400.  Recent install, Dec 31st.  Uptodate as of
> 1/19/10.  System uptime was 14 days with many updates over this time.
> System was beginning to bog down, I was considering killing Firefox
> (over 20 browser sessions open with multiple tabs) and was opening a
> .pptx doc here at the IEEE 802.15 meeting.
>
> Why things were slowly working on opening the document, I noticed the
> fan going to full speed and then the video did a bright flash and the
> system was off.
>
> I had to power back up.  I watched all the inode recovery for all the
> docs I had open.  Once I was logged in, I checked /var/log/messages, and
> of course there was nothing there prior to the boot messages (prior
> message was an dhcp message for when I moved from my hotel room on the
> hotel wireless to the conference room to the conference wireless).
>
> Of interest was my system had lost its time setting.  It was showing me
> in Boston, when I had come from Detroit and was currently in Los
> Angeles.  When I changed my location to LA, it was still showing my time
> off by 2 hours.  I had to turn off ntp, manually set the time, then
> reset to use ntp.
>
> I don't have any idea on how to trace this down and MAYBE submit a bug
> report.  I might think it is ACPI related as the fan turned up to full
> speed just prior to the crash.  I has a similar crash shortly after the
> FC12 install.
>
> Thoughts?

The laptop properly just overheated and shut down.

Remove the keyboard and clean the fan and keep it on hard surface...

There are several laptop manufactures that are stupid and place the air
intake or visa versa at the bottom of their laptops. HP is one of those
idiots as soon as you place the laptop on soft fabric then it blocks the
airflow and the computer overheads.

JBG