heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Sep 15 13:48:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 15:41 +0200, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> On 09/15/2010 03:35 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > I think we all realize that the timing was exceedingly bad on this.
> > I think we should try to distill some lessons from this for how we
> > approach 'invasive' features in the future.
>
> If the vore was as close as it was in this case, it begs the question of
> a proper cost analysis. How much extra burden is now generated in
> ripping systemd out compared to fixing the known/open bugs?

Bill had to do the work of doing the reversion; that's taken him a few
hours. We (QA) now should do some quick testing to make sure the
reversion works as intended. Everyone who can should go ahead and update
to today's updates-testing, which should include the relevant updates,
and check that the systemd-sysvinit package disappears, upstart becomes
the default init system, and their system boots successfully. I'll test
a live spin today too, to make sure that boots right and firstboot
behaves. Then we'll hopefully go ahead with RC1 as we would have done
with systemd.