Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Rob robert.swain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:37:38 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 18:08, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 04/22/2011 11:57 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
>> On 04/22/2011 11:37 AM, Angel wrote:
>>> A .desktop file needs to be placed in /usr/share/Applications or
>>> ~/.local/share/applications/.
>
>  Someone made a  comparison to Mac OS being new and different as a goal
> - that was not the case - the Mac UI was designed to be sufficiently
> obvious for most things and strove for elegant simplicity ... we will
> see if gnome-3 achieves a similar end .. it is a bit early yet.

I like Mac OS X but I wouldn't call it obvious how to use it. Unless
it has changed since 10.6 - you've never used OS X before, you boot
into it and want to launch an application that isn't in the dock -
without reading the manual or clicking on things randomly, how do you
do it? With Gnome Shell there's at least the 'Activities' label as a
hint. In many cases, one still has to know what software does what
though.

[...]

>  Elegance and simplicity are good goals .. but they still need to be
> sufficient as well .. minimalism by itself is not a good goal ...
> gnome-3 seems to be more minimalist than elegant simplicity ... by
> design or accident is unclear to me.

- Launching an app
 - Hit the logo key, type a couple of characters, press enter.
 - Click Activities -> Applications [-> a category] -> the application
you wish to run.
- Switch window
 - Alt-tab / Alt-<key above tab>
 - Logo key, click desired window
 - Click Activities, click desired window

I think launching an app gained in the elegant simplicity department
for those using a computer a lot. Switching a window becomes less
obvious and seeing the open applications is less obvious because one
has to go to the overview to see them. I'm not sure why you call Shell
minimalist though. No panel applets?

Regards,
Rob