Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:23:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 03:43:55 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>Why did Fedora decide to abandon Gnome 2, instead of offering Gnome 3 as
>an experimental college-level project via a spin (as one poster here already
>asked), representing a work-in-progress where geeks still learn their Computer
>Science principles and skills ?

As much as I dislike Gnome 3 and am considering my alternatives, it is
very unfair to dump on Fedora for the problems with Gnome 3.

Fedora relies on upstream, and if upstream (in this case Gnome)
decides to release an unfinished product that possibly alienates a
significant part of their userbase then there is little that Fedora
can do about it.

Fedora doesn't have enough volunteers to achieve everything Fedora
currently wants to do, the idea that Fedora could suddenly find a
significant number of developers to continue to maintain the now
abandoned Gnome 2 code is a pipe dream.

The best thing Fedora can do is what it is doing - putting Gnome 3 out
there so that the Linux community can try it out and provide feedback
to the Gnome community.  Gnome can then decide if they need to change
course or keep moving in their current direction.

>Do you know that even on Gnome 3 Shell devs (and users) list people admit that
>they possibly boxed themselves into a corner and now are not willing or able
>to reverse the course where things went wrong ?
>
>It is a Fedora problem, and it will be a Red Hat problem in due time !

Red Hat is fortunate that they can wait and see, and if necessary
evaluate the cost/benefit and if necessary allocate resources to the
issue.  Fedora, as a volunteeer effort, cannot.