Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Tue Apr 26 15:52:01 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 11:23 AM, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>> Why did Fedora decide to abandon Gnome 2, instead of offering Gnome 3 as
>> >an experimental college-level project via a spin (as one poster here already
>> >asked),

> As much as I dislike Gnome 3 and am considering my alternatives, it is
> very unfair to dump on Fedora for the problems with Gnome 3.

  No, to be really fair - there was/is indeed an option here - namely to
use or not to use the new gnome-shell .. so indeed Fedora does have a
choice here ...

  and while that choice was Gnome Shell for F15, such a choice should be
debated and decided for F16 or F17 and we should not stubbornly stick
with Gnome shell while blaming upstream for all things poopy. :-) and
simultaneously taking credit for 'leading the pack' with wonderful new
things.

  It may turn out to be wonderful and beneficial, but the votes are not
in yet - its too early, in spite of bad taste from test users.

  As someone earlier said, time will tell. But lets make this discussion
making Fedora better - whether it means keeping/improving Gnome shell -
or, frankly, even if it means dumping it and changing DE's - and no I
don't mean tell people to leave and go build their own distro - I mean
make Fedora better - isn't that what we want here ?

 gene/