Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 12:16:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:56:45 +0200, you wrote:

>On 04/26/2011 05:23 PM, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>> As much as I dislike Gnome 3 and am considering my alternatives, it is
>> very unfair to dump on Fedora for the problems with Gnome 3.
>Why? I think it's appropriate to dump Fedora because of this, because
>Fedora has made Gnome 3 it's default desktop and because Fedora is
>actively promoting it.

Perhaps a minor point, but important.

Fedora has not made Gnome 3 its default (this implies that Fedora has
somehow actively evaluated Gnome 3 and decided that it is the best,
which hasn't happened).

What has been true since Fedora began, and is still true is that
Fedora uses Gnome as its default, and ships each release with whatever
the current version of Gnome is.

>> Fedora, as a volunteeer effort, cannot.
>It's worse. I fear Fedora will loose contributors, because Fedora is not
>shipping the DE these users want.

If this happens, then it also means Gnome will lose contributors, and
the Gnome project will need to make an evaluation on what they with to
do.  But despite all the controversy, there is the possibility that
the users of Fedora will merely shrug their shoulders and suffer with,
or even like the new desktop.

But there is little Fedora itself can do.  All that matters is that
Fedora does not have the resources to fork Gnome.