Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 02:22:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 19:01 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >> Adam, please.
> >>
> >> All of this thread is about "Gnome 3 not being a replacement for what
> >> used to be Gnome 2",
> > Is any other desktop more of a GNOME 2 replacement than GNOME 3? i.e.,
> > would changing to another default desktop result in more continuity? I
> > would say not.
> Agreed. Things have derailed. Now the cart is stuck in the mud
>
> In other words Gnome and Fedora (Both projects dominated by a single
> enterprise) haved decided to switch their target audience.

I wouldn't say Fedora is dominated by a single enterprise exactly, but I
can see the characterization. It really doesn't apply to GNOME, though.
GNOME is way broader than any single company, Novell probably
contributes as much as we do and many other groups are involved. As a
trivial example, when looking at the recent change in the GNOME release
teams, I see 8 names (former, current and future team members) and I
only recognize one as being an RHer. (I don't preclude the possibility
I'm wrong, it's a big company. Sorry if I missed someone. :>)

You can also look at it from the RH side of the fence...I can tell you,
to a certain degree from 'within' RH, that RH does not see GNOME as
being its baby or anything like that. It sees itself as sponsoring GNOME
development by paying GNOME developers, that's all. It's definitely a
model where RH decided to support GNOME development by giving GNOME
hackers a pay check, not a model where RH is trying to actively direct
GNOME towards its own ends. You can believe that or not as you like,
obviously I'm not disinterested, but I thought I'd put it out there...