Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Apr 28 15:19:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 07:22:17PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 19:01 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > In other words Gnome and Fedora (Both projects dominated by a single
> > enterprise) haved decided to switch their target audience.
>
> I wouldn't say Fedora is dominated by a single enterprise exactly, but I
> can see the characterization. It really doesn't apply to GNOME, though.
> GNOME is way broader than any single company, Novell probably
> contributes as much as we do and many other groups are involved. As a
> trivial example, when looking at the recent change in the GNOME release
> teams, I see 8 names (former, current and future team members) and I
> only recognize one as being an RHer. (I don't preclude the possibility
> I'm wrong, it's a big company. Sorry if I missed someone. :>)

We currently have 2 people on the release team who are affiliated with
Red Hat. Recently 2 persons currently affiliated with Novell left the
release team.

Note that affiliation doesn't say much. The 2 persons affiliated with
Novell weren't affiliated with Novell when they were invited to
(&joined) the release team.

People are not invited based on their affiliation. Solely on the work
they did (usually over multiple years) and how they'd fit into the team.
E.g. we needed an accessibility person to provide his input, so we
invited API to join.

I always find it funny when people suggest GNOME is one corporation. So
far from reality that I cannot respond in any other way than to laugh :) [1]

Just to avoid these kind of arguments, we've added a maximum to the
number of affiliates from the same organization:
  https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/Membership

Also note that according to the GNOME census report, 50% are paid to
work on GNOME, 50% is not.

--
Regards,
Olav