How do I add startup programs in Gnome 3?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 26 18:50:53 UTC 2011

Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Dear folks,
>
> I took the plunge to Gnome 3 and although I am playing around, I wish to add
some of the old functionality like
> there was before, i.e, add a starting up script, in the old way one would open
gnome session and add the
> program/script to run at bootup, now the same cannot be applied.
>
> I want to add GKrellM system monitor.  ATM I use a terminal and type
> $ gkrellm &
> or run it from the applications(System -> GKrellM), but I want to see if it
can run without me typing it in?

I'd like to know, too. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this,
but my impression from reading is that the developers decided that people should
be able to use suspend/hibernate to avoid ever having to log out. Of course this
fails to consider a few "corner cases" such as dual boot, kernel updates,
non-working suspend/hibernate, power outages without a UPS or that last longer
than the UPS's capacity, etc. If this impression is wrong, someone please
correct me - in the rare cases I've seen anyone else ask this question, they
never got an answer which suggests there currently isn't one.