My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:36:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Frederic Muller <fred at cm17.com> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 10:37 PM, Pasha R wrote:
>> Yes, I am. Some people suddenly force me to either change distribution
>> or to lose access to many functions I found useful and essential,
>
> Hi!
>
> I think there is a slight misunderstanding here. GNOME 3.0 is a .0
> release and thus bleeding edge. One would expect to still have some
> rough edges and feedback is helping to drive 3.2 priorities.
>
> I think keeping F14 until the next cycle is also a very acceptable
> solution, as everybody seemed to agree that the 2.3x releases were very
> polished. Then when F16 is out you can definitely give it another try. I
> personally find upgrading every 6 months a bit of an hassle for 'work
> only' machines and often unnecessary, especially if you're looking for
> stability.
>
> I hope you'll find my advice useful for your specific use case.

Thanks, Fred, you actually summarized  my view of the situation very
well. I'm going to wait for F16 and see how it is going to develop.
Unfortunately, Jason's answers on this list and other forums I read
indicate unwillingness of at least some Gnome developers to listen to
users, but I really hope I'm wrong here.