Inadequate sound device control

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Sun Apr 15 18:27:26 UTC 2012

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/attachments/20120415/a0f1597e/attachment-0001.png

>> Except (a) the alsamixer curses interface is hardly one that's easy
>> for random users to find, and (b) even in alsamixer, I have to hit F6
>> and select my sound card before I see the level of granularity shown
>> above.
> Use alsamixer -c <card number here, start from 0>
> You can find card numbers with
> aplay -l
> Once in alsamixer, F3 is playback, F4 is record, F5 is combined.
>
> For really detailed settings, install alsa-utils and use amixer.
I understand what you are saying, but you're missing the point. /It
should not be this hard/ to access detailed sound settings. If Fedora is
going to use pulseaudio, then pulseaudio needs to provide access to
these settings.

These are not esoteric settings that only audiophiles use. I have to
tweak them/regularly/ to get my speakers, headset, and microphone to
play nicely together, due to another bug, i.e., that Fedora doesn't seem
to /remember/ my settings between logins / reboots. But even if that bug
weren't present and the settings were remembered, I would still need to
tweak them at least once to set them properly the first time, and right
now there's no way to do that through a GUI, whereas there was before
when gmixer was supported. That's simply an unacceptable loss in basic
functionality, which has been totally lost for at least two major
releases now.

I love a lot of things about Fedora, but one of the things I absolutely
hate is its penchant for ripping out things that work and replacing them
with things that don't have nearly the same functionality, perhaps with
an amorphous functionality to restore the missing functionality at some
time in the indeterminate future.

   jik