community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 4 03:43:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 02:35:15PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> I admit, I do have problem dealing with rudeness without being rude
> in the process. As someone using the web constantly, I'm constantly
> overwhelmed by pervasive web styling rudeness, in a virtually
> constant state of frustration.

Okay, here's the thing: you *can't* be rude here. Not just you, but anyone.
It's against the rules of the mailing list in specific and our community in
general. You've been around for a long time so you know this.

I hear that you're frustrated, but underneath that you must know that the
people working on the Anaconda development have no goal but to make the UI
better. We all know it's still kind of rough (beta, of a first revision!),
but it's one thing to have a civil discourse about specific issues and
possible improvementsand another to resort to personal attacks on the
competence of the people putting all of their effort into this.

Not coincidentally, the path which will actually make Fedora (and Anaconda)
better *and* the path of acceptable behavior in the community are exactly
the same.

I found this quote in your signature, and it's clearly wisdom:

> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

I encourage you to think on that, take some cooling off time if necessary,
and come back with an apology -- and hopefully, some constructive and
positive suggestions.