community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 07:05:25 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-03 22:43 (GMT-0500) Matthew Miller composed:

> Okay, here's the thing: you *can't* be rude here. Not just you, but anyone.
> It's against the rules of the mailing list in specific and our community in
> general. You've been around for a long time so you know this.

I also know there's not a clear demarcation between rude and not rude, but a
big gray blurry meandering river, particularly when the subject matter is a
tangled mix of objective and subjective. When to take a break has a similar
problem.

> I hear that you're frustrated, but underneath that you must know that the
> people working on the Anaconda development have no goal but to make the UI
> better. We all know it's still kind of rough (beta, of a first revision!),
> but it's one thing to have a civil discourse about specific issues and
> possible improvementsī›and another to resort to personal attacks on the
> competence of the people putting all of their effort into this.

Less gray. I wasn't aware of making any _personal_ attacks. Maybe I did a
poor job of it, but my aim was demonstrating through contextual imagery how a
process failed, and continues to fail, through lack of awareness of the #1
fundament of good usability. If you can't read it, and its words matter, it's
stillborn, complete failure.

In the case of Anaconda's current partitioning stage, I can't see job #1
success providing enough help for a successful rescue. It's so unintuitive it
seems to me that instead of trying to improve it it would make more sense to
cobble together a new foundation system for the F17 UI, along with making
whatever changes to it are necessary on account of F17 feature shortcomings.
If that turns out to be good enough, fine, but if a whole new Anaconda is to
be that can make fewer people unhappy, it needs to be built on a parallel
path so that whatever time is required to get the job done right can be given
it instead of being shoehorned into so short a release cycle as Fedora's.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/