OT: "web size" (was: Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?)

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 10:37:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

sorry to bother your circles, but one paragraph catched my eye ... it is
strongly offtopic here, but I couldn't resist to try to educate people - who
knows, maybe someday ... I'll live long enough until browser developers will
finally understand CSS ...

Dne Po 3. prosince 2012 14:35:15, Felix Miata napsal(a):
> 	body {...font-size: 13px...}
>
> What that rule says is that regardless how the viewer's browser is
> configured, or the environment of the user, in particular the pixel density
> of his display, 13px shall be used as a base instead. This rudely thwarts
> the web's inherent adaptability.

this is not 100% true

please take a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#value-def-length
- especially the image http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#img-pixel1

"For reading at arm's length, 1px thus corresponds to about 0.26 mm (1/96
inch)."

so, if "pixel density of his display" is very different from 96 DPI, the CSS px
unit should *not* be used 1:1 as display pixels

while you may consider setting base font size for reading at arms lenght to
3.38 mm rude in general, it surely does NOT "rudely thwart the web's inherent
adaptability" - it *should* adapt to the user's device, and it is just the
webbrowser developers' arrogance(*) if it doesn't adapt, go nag them

(*) I'd write "laziness" or something less offensive if I hadn't already tried
in vain with Gecko and KHTML

K.

--
Karel Volný