why not a partition assignment mode? (Re: community etiquette (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?))

Daniel Krawchuk dkrawchuk at mymts.net
Mon Dec 10 21:41:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:28:55PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 22:28:55 -0800
> From: Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> To: For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases
>  <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: Re: why not a partition assignment mode? (Re: community etiquette
>  (Re: Rename anaconda to cryptoconda?))
>
> On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 17:42 -0600, Daniel Krawchuk wrote:
> > I consider myself a basic user and what Chris describes is what I do
> > every time I install the latest release on my laptop from the livecd,
> > a process that has always taken a couple of minutes of configuration
> > followed by however long copying the image took.  I re-use my existing
> > partitions, /, /home and swap  only reformatting / since that is where
> > the new install goes.  My partitioning scheme is about as simple as it
> > gets.  Although it certainly would not be hard to re-create it, why
> > has it become necessary?
>
> It is not. You can do that perfectly well. Chris considers the interface
> to do so to be over-complicated, but I guess we don't know whether you'd
> agree until you try it...
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

I installed from the live image to my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 this weekend.  I
wouldn't say that it was any more confusing for me than the old installer, just
different.  The reclaim disk space button would have been a bit confusing to
press to get into custom partitioning if I had not read the many previous
comments about it, but other than that the install was fairly straightforward.
My first attempt at assigning the partitions failed, triggering a vague warning
telling me to fix the configuration.  When the second attempt gave me the same
result I quit the install and started over.  The second install attempt went
fine.  Since I always install grub to the MBR, not having a choice wasn't an
issue for me.  I would have liked to have been able to set the hostname during
the install, but doing it after was no big deal.  I understand both of these
issues are being addressed.  One thing I did find a little weird was being
prompted to set the root password while the live image was being copied to the
hard disk.  Is that on purpose?  To sum up, although there was a fair bit of
clicking to get through it, I don't remember the old installer requiring much
less.  For a basic installation like mine, other than the few issues that I
mentioned the new installer works reasonably well for its first release.

Dan Krawchuk