No more Radeon HDMI audio on Fedora 18?

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Thu Dec 13 17:30:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have jumped off the cliff and upgraded to Fedora 18
from my 17 via yum, the system is x86_64.

It seems almost everything is running smoothly, I only have
to clean up some files under /etc as rpmnew files are left behind.
One of the subsystems that suffers from old configuration
is pulseaudio, it wasn't able to start up first, as the modules
are in different files in the old configuration, tsched=0 option
was used, etc.

After renaming the /etc/pulse/*.rpmnew files and restarting
the machine, I have noticed that the HDMI audio out on my
Radeon HD6570 (TURKS) doesn't work any more. E.g. playing
a dvd in xine doesn't play the audio.

The radeon.audio=1 setting was picked up from my Fedora 17
configuration, it still is in /proc/cmdline:

$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.6.10-4.fc18.x86_64 root=UUID=00df37a2-be3d-46fe-963a-ca08977fc5f6 ro
quiet rhgb SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 LANG=hu_HU.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=hu radeon.audio=1

I also checked in alsamixer that the HDMI output is unmuted,
"00" is indicated instead of "MM" for the "S/PDIF".

The audio output in pavucontrol can be dynamically moved
between my internal audio / speaker and the HDMI TV, the
internal audio produces sound while the TV does not.

$ rpm -q kernel pulseaudio
kernel-3.6.10-4.fc18.x86_64
pulseaudio-2.1-4.fc18.x86_64

What else should I look at?