Emacs "yank" behavior change

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Wed Feb 1 17:27:11 UTC 2012

So I finally got around to updating the Rawhide system after my last round
of travel.  When yum informed me that there were 1300 packages to update,
I got a little worried.  But things actually mostly work, modulo a suspend
problem that I want to investigate further when time allows.

One thing has changed, though, and it drives me nuts.  The Emacs "yank"
command has, since time immemorial, yanked text from the X clipboard if a
selection had been made with the mouse.  It worked whether that selection
was done within an Emacs window, or in another application altogether.
Now it doesn't; one has to explicitly place text into that more
Windows-like selection area with a "copy" command of some type or other,
or something like a kill-ring-save command for selections within Emacs.

(Sorry, I'm not good enough at X to use the right terms for the different
clipboard/selection areas).

Does anybody know if this is an intended behavioral change in Emacs, and
if there's any way to get back to the way things used to be?

Thanks,

jon