Emacs "yank" behavior change

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:47:22 UTC 2012

On 1 February 2012 10:27, Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
> So I finally got around to updating the Rawhide system after my last round
> of travel.  When yum informed me that there were 1300 packages to update,
> I got a little worried.  But things actually mostly work, modulo a suspend
> problem that I want to investigate further when time allows.
>
> One thing has changed, though, and it drives me nuts.  The Emacs "yank"
> command has, since time immemorial, yanked text from the X clipboard if a
> selection had been made with the mouse.  It worked whether that selection
> was done within an Emacs window, or in another application altogether.
> Now it doesn't; one has to explicitly place text into that more
> Windows-like selection area with a "copy" command of some type or other,
> or something like a kill-ring-save command for selections within Emacs.

Actually it doesn't always... it could choose from what is highlighted
OR what is in its own copy buffer. I have had it randomly choose one
or the other at times. Looking at the emacs faq I think they have been
making it more sticky to one behaviour or another.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CopyAndPaste

So I can't answer if it is soemthing new in X or EMacs but it looks
like there are ways to now fix it to which version of selection you
want.