Linking negative karma points to a reported bug

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sat Jun 30 09:09:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 04:38:18PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 01:13 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
>
> > Nevertheless it seems to be easy to workaround, for example by using the
> > whiteboard as an additional way to propose blocker/NTH bugs. It should
> > even be possible to write an additional service that scans for bugs with
> > the respective whiteboard field and adding the bug to the respective
> > tracker bug.
>
> The problem with the whiteboard field is it's too vulnerable to error:
> you can typo easily, and anyone putting anything else there can
> intentionally or inadvertently overwrite what anyone else has put in it.
> It's such a fragile field I'm never happy relying on it...even using it
> for accepted/rejected status as we do now was meant to be a stopgap.

If for example all Bugzilla notification mails are screened for changes
in the whiteboard field, it would be enough for someone to add it
properly once to notify the blocker/NTH committee of its existence.

> Adjusting the process for nominating blockers is a legitimate way out of
> the problem, of course, but I don't think using the whiteboard field is
> a good alternative. Any other ideas? :)

Other ideas:
- Screening for special keywords in comments
- Allowing to add blocker proposals to a wiki page and screen changes
- Allow to send blocker proposals to a special e-mail address
- Provide a special web app where bug IDs can be entered

Regards
Till