Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 01:50:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 08:10 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 08:21:13 -0600
> Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:
> > It sounds like we're pretty much OK with these release criteria
> > changes
> > - if there are no objections, I'll make the wiki changes later tonight
> >   or tomorrow morning.
>
> There was some concern about the interpretation of 'or' in the criteria
> that we accepted in the QA meeting on Monday, so I propose a slightly
> different wording to make the intent a bit more clear
>
> For beta:
>
> "It must be possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a
> fully updated installation of the previous stable Fedora release
> with any release blocking package set ('minimal' or any release-blocking
> desktop environment), using any officially recommended upgrade
> mechanism. The upgraded system must meet all release criteria."
>
> For final:
>
> "It must be possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a
> fully updated installation of the previous stable Fedora release
> with any release blocking package set ('minimal' or any release-blocking
> desktop environment), using all officially recommended upgrade
> mechanisms. The upgraded system must meet all release criteria."
>
> Any thoughts?

Doesn't work. English being the ridiculous language it is, 'any' in fact
has precisely the same problem as 'or'. It can mean 'any one of (these
things)' as well as 'all of (these things)'. You can read 'any release
blocking package set' as 'any one release blocking package set'. In
fact, we use 'any' in this sense *right there in the same criterion* -
for Beta, we say 'any officially recommended upgrade mechanism', meaning
any _one_ officially recommended upgrade mechanism (only one has to
work). English, you can't beat it.

We can't use 'all', either, like we do for the mechanisms for Final,
because it could be read as 'you have to be able to do an upgrade from a
system with both KDE and GNOME installed'.

I _think_ - think, mind - that 'each' would work:

"It must be possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a fully
updated installation of the previous stable Fedora release with each
release-blocking package set ('minimal', and the package sets for all
release-blocking desktop environments), using any officially recommended
upgrade mechanism. The upgraded system must meet all release criteria."

and the corresponding thing for Final, obviously.

Actually, god, no, that doesn't work either, it has the same problem as
'all'. This is freaking hard. Quick, somebody call a university.

I think we have to rejig the whole thing somehow. Um.

For each one of the release-blocking package sets ('minimal', and the
package sets for each one of the release-blocking desktops), it must be
possible to successfully complete an upgrade from a fully updated
installation of the previous stable Fedora release with that package set
installed, using any officially recommended upgrade mechanism. The
upgraded system must meet all release criteria."

I _think_ that gets it (with, again, the obvious corresponding criterion
for Final). English, eh. Who'd use it.