Release criterion proposal: upgrade methods

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Mon Sep 24 17:33:35 UTC 2012

>The installer must be able to successfully complete an upgrade
>installation from a clean, fully updated default installation (from any
>official install medium) of the previous stable Fedora release via any
>officially supported upgrade mechanism. The upgraded system must meet
>all release criteria.

Sounds like a political statement - good words with almost no content.
It would be nearly as useful, and easier to say "Everything that has to
work will work."

If there is no reasonable way to explicitly say in this criterion what
should work, at least add references to specific documents that define
"official install media" and "officially supported upgrade mechanism."

I think it better to accept that criteria may have to be revised for a
new release than to craft criteria so general they never need to change,
or so empty of detail they have little direct value and require research
to understand what they actually mean.