Draft onboarding process changes

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 04:02:58 UTC 2013

> Hey, folks. So I drafted up the proposed 'onboarding' changes. For now I
> didn't include the idea of adding people to the 'qa' FAS group: it
> seemed easier to get this done first, then we can do that after if we
> want to. Here are the proposed changes that just drop the PT and BZ
> 'joining' stuff, and add a self-introduction process for QA:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Join
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Bugzappers_Joining
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_Proven_tester
>
> compare to the versions at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Joining
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Proven_tester
>
> I should've thought to copy the pages unchanged to my draft space,
> *then* edited them, so you'd have handy diffs - sorry. Here are the
> basic changes:
>
> 1. Add a 'Introduce yourself and join the team!' section to QA/Join, at
> the top. Change "so pick one or more of the activities and jump right
> in" to read "so introduce yourself, pick one or more of the activities
> and jump right in" in the very top paragraph, with 'introduce yourself'
> being a link to the self-introduction section. The 'Here's an example
> mail' text is obviously planned to be a link - if we approve all these
> changes, I'll find a mail we can use as an example, or we can just write
> a dummy one.
>
> 2. Move the "Triaging and managing bugs" section to the bottom of
> QA/Join, and rewrite it somewhat to reflect that BugZappers is dormant
> and we'd like to see triage come back as a QA activity in future.
>
> 3. Add an admon/warning box to the top of Bugzappers/Joining, saying the
> group is dormant and applications aren't being accepted, and directing
> people to QA/Join or join.fp.org to contribute. Hide the 'How to Sign
> Up' section (it's just commented out in the page source).
>
> 4. Edit the admon box at the top of Proven_tester to say that
> applications are not currently being accepted. Hide the 'Joining the
> proven testers' section (again, it's just commented out in the page
> source). Add a little admon box in 'Mentoring process' section to say
> that mentoring isn't required at present.
>
> I cleaned up a couple of other minor details that I noticed as I went
> along, but they were just general bringing-things-up-to-date stuff
> (mainly the list of tools and the contact person in the 'Developing
> tools' section of QA/Join). I think these changes should be all we need.
> Any queries/comments/suggestions/worries? Thanks!

As there were no objections or change suggestions here or in the Monday
meeting, or in discussion at FUDCon or on IRC, I have gone ahead and
implemented (just) the above changes (no group changes yet). I checked
pages that linked to Proven_tester and BugZappers/Joining and modified
them where appropriate, too. This should prevent the flood of BZ / PT
applications.

For those who applied to the proven tester and/or BugZappers groups and
are wondering what this thread means - we still want your contributions!
Those who are interested in the proven tester process, please just go
ahead and test updates, following the instructions at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_Testing and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Update_feedback_guidelines . The
proven tester process was put into hibernation, but that doesn't mean we
don't need to test updates: it just means that updates need feedback
from 'any tester' now. We still need you to file feedback for the
updates to go through quickly and safely. So everyone, please do
continue testing updates for all releases and providing feedback.

For those interested in the BugZappers group - it'd be great if someone
was interested in resurrecting the triage work, and if you are but
you're not sure how to get started, please get in touch with me and we
can kick some ideas around. But otherwise, there are many other great
ways you can contribute to QA: see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join . Thanks!