Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:51:52 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 05:50 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Exactly, users are reporting bugs against a product called "Fedora",
> not against another party's product called "package".
>
> In that sense it's a Fedora package maintainer's duty to arbitrate
> processing bug reports and communicate them to appropriate channels
> and/or initiate appropriate measures, while keeping the impact on the
> Fedora user and bug-reporters low.
>
> In some situations, this means the package maintainer to implement a
> patch, in others, to forward a bug report to upstream, in some it may
> mean to initiate a direct contact between upstream and bug reporter.
>
> It's simply another case of there is "no size fits all", except that
> Fedora MUST continue to carry some central address to receiving bug
> reports on Fedora's bugs. Currently that's bugzilla.

I agree with you that this should be packagers responsibility they
themselves are suppose to triage their component and act accordingly by
either gather the required information and forward it upstream but the
reality is quite different more often than not they are in no
communication with upstream nor are incapable to actually debug their
own component or provide the information to do so.

JBG