Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 11:22:22 UTC 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:51:52 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

> [...] this should be packagers responsibility they
> themselves are suppose to triage their component and act accordingly by
> either gather the required information and forward it upstream but the
> reality is quite different more often than not they are in no
> communication with upstream nor are incapable to actually debug their
> own component or provide the information to do so.

_Why_ are they "in no communication with upstream"?

It is your impression that reports filed in Red Hat bugzilla are ignored
by Fedora packagers. That's true for some packages [1], but the better fix
for that would be to add package maintainers and/or triagers and testers,
who don't ignore bugzilla completely. More team-work. The ACLs in pkgdb
are there for a good reason. I mean, sometimes the packaging is broken,
and even reports about that seem to get ignored.

Also, there are upstream developers, who enjoy visiting bug details in
Red Hat bugzilla when they are pointed at it.  E.g. via a direct link to a
stacktrace or via the overview at http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/SRCRPMNAME

[1] In other cases, there won't be a response in an upstream bug tracker
either. The more tickets, the less likely it is that someone will process
them all. Sometimes the code changes so quickly and developers are aware
of issues in the replaced code, problem reports are obsolete already when
they are filed.