fedup f20->f21 kde broken deps

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 19:28:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:54:06 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:

> I don't want to use updates-testing indiscriminatly, because there's no telling
> what that will drag in.

Updates-testing isn't as bad as you may think.

Actually, all Fedora users ought to take a look at updates-testing regularly
and watch out for packages they depend on. Read the update description and
decide what will be the best way forward: To get the same update when it
enters the stable "updates" repo without any testing? That can happen in
more cases as you might imagine.  Give test updates a try. Roll back with
yum distro-sync or yum downgrade, if need be, but be aware of the
possibility to give feedback in the Fedora Update System and how this can
lead to withdrawing a test update. Once an update has hit the stable
updates repo, it cannot be withdrawn anymore. And many "stable updates"
have not been tested.

> What is needed here, is an option to yum to use updates-testing _only_ to solve
> broken deps.

That's not thought far enough. In your case, you're not missing packages
which are specified as dependencies. You are missing packages, which
simply are meant to replace your F20 packages because of higher package
EVR values. [Yum could not take into account the dist tags either, because
it might be that you would strictly need a rebuild found in updates-testing
to fix unresolvable deps.]

Btw, the assumption that F21 _without_ updates-testing is anything like more
stable than F21 with updates-testing doesn't hold true.