fedup f20->f21 kde broken deps

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:53:53 UTC 2014

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 16:30:51 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Example: docker-io-1.3.2-2.fc20, a CVE fix, is broken, DOA. Any earlier
> build is insecure. docker-io-1.3.2-4.fc20 works fine. However, we have
> docker-io-1.3.2-2.fc21 in F21 stable (as far as I've been able to tell
> it works fine on F21, but it's really irrelevant as F21 is hard frozen),
> which is frozen for release. Do we not ship docker-io-1.3.2-4.fc20 to
> F20 now?

We ship  docker-io-1.3.2-2.fc20.1  without any upgradepath problems.

Oh, wait, that requires package maintainers to pay attention to detail,
although the guidelines cover it well. I can only wonder why you've come
up with such an example despite me having mentioned that versioning
guideline in this thread before.

Perhaps we want to revisit dist-Epochs again? ;-)

> > > The updates policy places a degree of trust in maintainers to know what
> > > an appropriate update policy for their packages is.
> >
> > For mass-updates to multiple dist releases, you need help from an updates
> > system and an enforced upgradepath check. Or else you could never enable
> > karma based automatic pushes.
>
> It's this kind of 'never' thing that is tiring me out and maybe making
> me snippy. Yes, you can. We do. It works. People use Fedora. It works.
> Nothing explodes. I've got a dozen systems on the damn thing, and no, I
> don't tend them obsessively. My servers all run Fedora and update with
> cron scripts. They work. I've upgraded them all from F15 or so up to
> F19-F20, with yum and fedup. They work.

Consider yourself lucky.  IMO, it's a shame to observe how the common Fedora
user adds the --skip-broken option almost always when using Yum, in good hope
that it will make things better.

> So I tend to be just inherently cynical about proposals which seem to be
> a) based on the idea that everything is terrible, terribly, utterly
> broken right now

That's not how I paint things. There's a range between bad and perfect.
It's just that broken deps, repo metadata errors, and a flood of updates
(particularly poorly tested ones which are rushed out) are my pet peeves
where I think we can _improve_.