Intro - Join QA

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 16 23:47:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 12:49 -0500, Zach Villers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a brief email to introduce myself. I've used linux for a year
> or so now. I've run F21 when it was in alpha, and rawhide in a vm as
> well. I'm fairly comfortable at the command line and am looking for a
> way to contribute. I am just starting to learn python and have no
> other coding skills, except for a tiny bit of bash scripting.
>
> I lurked the QA meeting today and have read through the join page. I
> do have a bugzilla account and a FAS account, but I'm not sure where
> to get started or what I should do first.
>
> I'm occasionally on IRC as #aikidouke and am usually reachable at
> this e mail.

Hi Zack, and welcome!

There are no rules about what to do first. The Join page lists several
choices, and they're all good - just pick one which feels most
comfortable to you. As we're between 21 and 22 there are no Test Days
coming up right away, but you could certainly try testing updates for
Fedora 19, 20 or 21 -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Updates_TestingĀ - helping with the
early Fedora 22 testing we're trying to do this cycle -
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test-announce/2014-December/000969.html - and/or continue testing Rawhide in your VM and reporting bugs you
find (just having people running Rawhide and filing problems as they
come along is really valuable).

It usually works best to try doing some of the actual QA 'work' first
and then maybe get involved with planning and improving processes once
you've got a feel for the system and maybe some ideas about what could
work better, I find.

Thanks for volunteering!