F21 emergency.target when root pw isn't set

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Dec 18 18:31:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

Since systemd requires root password to use emergency shell, shouldn't
there be a generic password set for the livecd? Right now I can't boot
single user mode for example, because a root password is required. If
I just control-D it continues onto graphical boot which isn't what I
want. I have found no work around for this.

Related: user has installed Fedora 21 without setting a root password.
After an update, he's getting dropped to emergency shell. And because
he has no root password set he can't get access to the
rdsosreport.txt.

What's the work around? And if there isn't a good work around then I
think maybe I need to bring it up on devel that setting a root
password is required in the installer (?) because being allowed to
install a system that can't be troubleshot seems like a bad idea.

Suggestions?

--
Chris Murphy