Blocker bug process proposal: make FESCo blockers automatic

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 10 20:54:02 UTC 2014

Hi folks! So, we have this Alpha release criterion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_21_Alpha_Release_Criteria#FESCo_blocker_bugs

it was added back in 2013 -
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-June/116531.html -
to provide a documented process by which FESCo could designate bugs as
blocking the release. Practically, FESCo has always been able to do
this, but we didn't used to have a way of keeping track of it.

It occurs to me that there's really no reason for FESCo-designated
blockers to go through the review process: there's really nothing to be
discussed, if FESCo says "we designate this bug as a blocker", then it's
a blocker. We don't need to propose and review it. So I suggest we
should amend the Automatic Blockers policy:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_blocker_bug_process#Automatic_blockers

with this additional bullet:

* Bugs designated as release blockers by FESCo (see [[{{FedoraVersion|
long|next}}_Alpha_Release_Criteria#FESCo_blocker_bugs]])

does this make sense to you all? Thanks!