F21-beta issues with NetworkManager and tunX

Adrian - phaet0n at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:52:57 UTC 2014

Hello all,

Did a fresh install of Fedora 21 beta via boot.iso (essentially, so not a Workstation flavour).

Transferred my F20 configuration over, to the best of my ability, this involved:
- removing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* and moving my networking to be controlled by NetworkManager
- NetworkManager.conf:

[main]
plugins=keyfile
no-auto-default=*
ignore-carrier=*

- setup my (static) wired ethernet using nmcli and place it in the home zone (connectivity works!)
- the default firewall zone is public

However this is where I get issues. I create openvpn tunnels manually. In Fedora 20 this meant:
- a routing entry was added specifing how to route directly to the remote endpoint (to avoid a circularity where the yet to be established tunnel attempts to send it's packets over itself)
- a tunX device was created
- a 0/1 and 128/1 route was added to go over said tunnel as not to disturb the default route

In Fedora 21 weird stuff happens. It seems that NetworkManager tries to managed the newly created tunX device, and my created routes change from under me.

I mitigated this by adding a [keyfile] entry in my NetworkManger.conf to set tunX devices for small X to be unmanaged.

I have no problem with this, per se, as this is not particuarly out-of-the-box setup. However, perhaps the parties involved with F21 networking can inform me as what higher level configuration I can perform to get this working more elegantly.

Thank you.