Read-Only filesystem error

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Nov 24 17:47:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM, Christopher Meng <cickumqt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a portable Fedora installation configured on my SSD, I have 3
> kernels installed:
>
> $ rpm -qa |grep kernel\-[3\.]
> kernel-3.18.0-0.rc4.git1.2.fc22.1.x86_64
> kernel-3.18.0-0.rc5.git0.2.fc22.x86_64
> kernel-3.17.0-0.rc5.git0.1.fc22.x86_64
>
> I now can only use the 3.17 kernel to boot the system, because if I
> use the other two kernels, the / will be read-only and X can't start
> as "Failed to move /var/log/Xorg.1.log to XXX", it's really
> coincident that I thought it was a X issue and then I found the system
> is not usable with specific kernels.
>
> This makes me wonder about the systemd behavior. Maybe it's caused by
> a uncompleted unmount from the early stage of boot process? But it's
> only a gut feeling. Any hints for it?

Mount a USB stick or some other volume, and write out the current boot journal:

journalctl -b -l -o short-monotonic > /mnt/journal_bootfail.log

Then reboot with a good kernel, and inspect that log. An unclean mount
should get cleaned up just by journal replay at mount time; ext4, XFS
and Btrfs should be able to handle this on well behaved hardware, or
there's a bug (including very possibly a hardware bug).

--
Chris Murphy