how do i enable the updates-testing repo?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 14:57:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 09:09:00 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

> This may or may not have anything to do with your problem but it's one I
> ran into with dnf...
>
> I was trying to update a package I KNEW was in updates-testing (I pushed it
> myself) but when I asked dnf to update it it gave me the "Nothing to do"
> message.
>
> After that I tried all the dnf clean metadata|all tricks and it still
> wouldn't find the updated package. Then I tried dnf
> --enablerepo=updates-testing list <package> and lo and behold it was there!
>
> Then I released that because it was a library, and another package was
> dependent on it, that it was refusing to update the package!
>
> While that's certainly the correct behavior, the lack of any sort of USEFUL
> message to the user is extremely confusing and frustrating.

It's a known thing and a major design flaw in that tool. It tries to
be helpful by hiding some things under the carpet, but that is
counter-productive as it causes too much confusion. I think I've
seen a few related messages on devel@ list recently, too. The
evelopers are aware of it.

With Yum it has been a bit similar with --skip-broken and suggesting
that option when running into unresolvable dependencies. Many users
follow such suggestions without even trying to understand the broken
dependencies, and things can get worse because --skip-broken is not
a safe solution.