Release Notes update

Tiansworld tiansworld at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 26 15:14:36 UTC 2013

On 11/26/2013 10:31 PM, Yuri Chornoivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like the last Release Notes update contains some questionable
> changes:
>
> 1. There are many entities added. Example:
>
> A slice's name describes its position relative to the root slice.
>
> becomes
>
> A slice's name describes its position relative to the root slice.
I couldn't understand using ' to substitute "'", as well as "". Is
it necessary?

> 2. Tags were removed and the phrases wer broken into puzzles:
>
> Support for <productname>TrueCrypt</productname> in Fedora is expanded
> by <application>systemd-cryptsetup</application> support for the
> technology, allowing easy authentication during boot.
>
> becomes three independent parts
>
> Support for
>
> TrueCrypt
>
> in Fedora is expanded by <application>systemd-cryptsetup</application>
> support for the technology, allowing easy authentication during boot.

Yes, I have the same question.

Why they are broken into several parts. They were translated very well.
But in this case, most of them can't be translated into a grammatically
right ordered language, the worse is that we have no way to translate them.

For example in i18n:

Truetype

and

OpenType

fonts

<command>ttname</command> is a new CLI interface for editing the
<literal>name</literal> table that contains the metadata in

It's been cut into 5 strings, this prevents me translating them to
Chinese. Because if I write them in Chinese, then the first 4 strings
should be arranged between "editing" and the the rest characters of the
5th string. In other words, they should be in one string like before.

This change would also make translators feel very confused, when they
haven't translated these sentences before.

To the translators who have translated these sentences few days ago,
like me, I think this is a disaster :-|

--
Regards,

Tiansworld