Fedora names not to be translated

Rajesh Ranjan rajesh672 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:22:51 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Ding Yi Chen <dchen at redhat.com> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>

> Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> 於 2014年11月6日星期四寫道:

>> > But people don't know too much about English in my country. Easy words
>> are
>> > OK while technical terms might be a problem.
>> >
>> > It is odd to keep them untranslated as workstation, server and cloud are
>> > all common words in speech.
>>
>> That's actually somewhat part of the problem. We want to keep them as
>> part of the name, not separate merely-descriptive words. Hopefully in
>> most cases there will be accompanying text which _is_ translatable.
>

> That would be better.
>
> By the way, we don't see organization or company use common words as brand
> name.
>

> Quite a lot companies and organizations (and project names) use common
> English word.
> e.g. Fedora, Red Hat, Oracle, Apple, ...
> If you want to include the join-words, there are ever more like
> facebook, Microsoft ...
>
> Some make sense to translate, some don't, it all depends.
> e.g. Red Hat is translated as "紅帽", Firefox is translated as "火狐"
> But I have yet see any convention to translate "Fedora" in Chinese yet.
>

> IMHO, it is better to let each translation team to decide whether to
> translate or not.
> They may already have some convention for whether to translate "Fedora" or
> "Server".
>
> If you are worry about web search result, fear not, state-of-art search
> engine can already
> map these together.

Right! In new context, I also think that there is no valid reason for not
translating (means transliterating) brand names, but discussion should
happen, and good that it is happening. If we consider a brand as a proper
noun and just transliterating it, then what is the problem?

Even in new scenario, somebody is typing searching fedora by writing it in
Hindi eg फेडोरा what a person will get, s/he won't find a page from fedora
website. S/he will get pages from write-up of a journalist instead.

I also know and understand the typical conventional logic that thinks brand
as 'untouchable'. But I would like to request to change the mindset now and
make brand a 'translatable' entry.

Thanks!

Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan