Fedora names not to be translated

Tommy He lovenemesis at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 7 04:14:30 UTC 2014

Hi Matthew,

I saw you use the word "recommendation", not “request”. :)
Thus would you mind forwarding our concerns to Legal team, please?

If the result came back as untranslatable, can you please add a comment to
po file for the strings?
I saw this kind of "Comment for translator" in other places before.
Not sure if it's doable for web pages.

Thanks,
Tommy

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 4:12 AM, Roman Spirgi <bigant at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> We shouldn't take MS as state of the art should we? ;)
>
> Matthew, I think you're right for Western languages but maybe it's
> different for Asian languages?!
>
> Cheers
> Roman
> Am 06.11.2014 20:19 schrieb "Matthew Miller" <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>:
>
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 08:52:51PM +0530, Rajesh Ranjan wrote:
>> > Right! In new context, I also think that there is no valid reason for
>> not
>> > translating (means transliterating) brand names, but discussion should
>> > happen, and good that it is happening. If we consider a brand as a
>> proper
>> > noun and just transliterating it, then what is the problem?
>>
>> Hi everyone. This is a recommendation from Fedora Legal, not just
>> something I'm arbitrarily made up. It helps protect the brand globally.
>>
>> Also, I'm not quite convinced that this request is out of line with
>> normal practice. Not that this is a company we need to emulate, but on
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/zh-cn/default.aspx>, I see "Office",
>> "Surface", "Phone", "Tablet", and even "Service Pack" untranslated.
>> These are all common words, and I'm sure there are plenty of other
>> examples elsewhere.
>>

>> --
>> Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>