no sound from external speakers

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Fri Mar 26 22:15:13 UTC 2010

On 26 March 2010 22:07, Ben Miller <wheelscribe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to the list, and I've searcehd the list archives
> and the usual places for an answer to this problem, but haven't found
> one. I'm running a brand new installation of F12 on a Compaq/HP laptop.
> At first, sound was coming out of the laptop speakers and only through
> external speakers if I turned the volume very loud. And then it didn't
> play out through the subwoofer. In an attempt to fix this, I upgraded
> ALSA drivers to the most recent version. Now, I get nothing from my
> external speakers. My sound card is: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9
> Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03). Any help is much appreciated.

Assuming you are using Gnome, do you have a Preferences -> Advanced
Volume Control, if not install the gst-mixer package.

Once you have it, take a look at the levels for all your different
Channels - you may find one that it set too low or even muted.

FWIW, I have an HP Compaq 6910p and my speakers work fine, although
the card is a little older:

[sam at samlap ~]$ lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

--
Sam