Gnome3 and Cursor Movements

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Aug 3 13:17:22 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 08:56 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 21:21 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I have finally got F15 installed after great tribulation with the 'Oh
>> No' messages.  Now that I have it installed, I find gnome3 difficult to
>> use because of the time delay of the highlight bars that allow you to
>> select programs.  Even when I try to pick "Applications" it takes about
>> 6 seconds to highlight. Is this a limit of gnome3 working on a slower
>> machine or has anyone else had this problem?
>> --
>> Greg Ennis
>> PoMec Corporation
>> www.PoMec.net
>>

> I find the same behavior. Does anyone know why this is happening?
> It is certainly annoying.
I found Gnome 3 very responsive when I first installed F15. Someone
along the line it seems like an update started this delaying behaviour.

There are a lot of complaints about the design of Gnome 3, but I find it
pretty hard to judge right now. There are so many things which appear to
be bugs, but could be design issues, that I don't know what to make of
it. E.g. I *assume* the need to hit an exact pixel to be able to grab
the edge of a window and resize it is a bug, and nobody thought that was
a sane design. I'd submit bug reports, but its really hard to write a
clear description of strange visual behaviour, unless its a clear and
simple as that 1 pixel grab zone issue.

Steve