telnet on local LAN question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 21 23:38:39 UTC 2011

On 8/20/2011 1:42 AM, Tim wrote:

> This is from my old server:
>
> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
> dnl #
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.1.2, Name=MTA')dnl

This doesn't help. If anything, it makes matters worse as I am no longer
getting any cc's to myself on the sending machine. I also noticed
failures on the restart. I tried multiple versions to see if I was
missing something in my reading. Looks like a dead end to me ... sorry

> I simply bodged on a second line, for my LAN IP address.  Which I
> thought to be a bit more restrictive than having it open-slather (at the
> time I was on dial-up, and server was directly connected to the ISP).
>
> I seem to recall the advice (read later, never tested), was to remove
> the Addr= portion, so it listened to all addresses.  The inline comments
> suggest the same.
>
> e.g. DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

Same problem(s). Note I am trying all four permutations here (on/off for
127 and the above "no addr"). It is also looking like the failures in
service sendmail restart might be when it can't send something to itself
(???)

What is interesting about that is that both machines see restart errors,
so I can't tell if it something about the settings or if the receiving
machine actually had to do something with the sending machine email. I
think this is a cliched red herring, but I figured I'd mention just in case.

>> I did a mail from one machine to another and got a "No route to host".
>>
>> I then did a service iptables stop and tried again ... got a
>> "Connection refused"
> The two above conditions does sound like you still have a firewalling
> issue (different response codes with and without iptables in the way).

Without knowing what it is, I am so certain you are right ...

> I don't recall much customising needed for sendmail.mc (the adding of my
> domain name in the obvious places, smarthost to send out through my ISP,
> listening addresses, are about the only things I can think of, and see,
> in the old config file).
>
> My access file has the local domain names and subnets added, with the
> RELAY command.
>
> localhost.localdomain           RELAY
> localhost                       RELAY
> 127.0.0.1                       RELAY
> lan.example.com                 RELAY
> 192.168.1                       RELAY

The only difference I am seeing in the access file from all the examples
in the forum's replies and online googles is that the factory installed
default file has a slightly different syntax:
+++
Connect:localhost.localdomain RELAY
Connect:localhost RELAY
Connect:127.0.0.1 RELAY
+++

to which I have added:
+++
Connect:192.168.2 RELAY
+++

To be sure, I ran a test where I removed the "Connect:" from all entries
on the sending and receiving machine ... no change as the mail still
doesn't get through

> The local-host-names file has a list of all the domain names that the
> server responds to:
> lan.example.com
> mail.lan.example.com
>
> And so on, and so forth, listing all the different mail-related domain
> names I'd used while setting up the LAN.
>
> I never went exploring to see if that was overkill.  Again, just trying
> the obvious.
>
> I'd have suggested viewing sendmail.org, but it seems like the good
> information has been removed, or buried where I can't see it.

Doing as root:
+++
find . -name sendmail.org -print
+++

doesn't find anything.

I'm going to go back through yours and others prior emails and see if I
am missing something. I also want to see if I have any new knowledge
that I can apply to the telnet test to see if that turns up anything
about who is blocking things

Thanks,
Paul