telnet on local LAN question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 23 04:52:10 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> This is from my old server:
>>
>> dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback address
>> dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
>> dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
>> dnl #
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.1.2, Name=MTA')dnl

Paul Allen Newell:
> This doesn't help. If anything, it makes matters worse as I am no longer
> getting any cc's to myself on the sending machine. I also noticed
> failures on the restart. I tried multiple versions to see if I was
> missing something in my reading. Looks like a dead end to me ... sorry

Syntax may have changed, read the manual.  Did you install it?  On my
old server, it's the sendmail-doc package.  And "rpm -ql sendmail-doc"
lists where all the documentation files ended up.  Then go to the
website for the server, Google for HowTo notes...

Far from being a red herring, messages on the command line about server
failures when restarting would (most likely) mean the configuration file
isn't accepted, rather than be failure notices about emails going
through it.  You want a server to start up without any complaints, long
before you worry about trying to use it.

>> My access file has the local domain names and subnets added, with the
>> RELAY command.
>>
>> localhost.localdomain           RELAY

> The only difference I am seeing in the access file from all the examples
> in the forum's replies and online googles is that the factory installed
> default file has a slightly different syntax:
> +++
> Connect:localhost.localdomain RELAY
> Connect:localhost RELAY
> Connect:127.0.0.1 RELAY
> +++

Might be a difference in syntax since I set mine up, or it might work
either way.

>> I'd have suggested viewing sendmail.org, but it seems like the good
>> information has been removed, or buried where I can't see it.

> Doing as root:
> +++
> find . -name sendmail.org -print
> +++
>
> doesn't find anything.

Sorry, I should have made it more obvious that sendmail.org was a
website address.

As I've mentioned, and others too, some people find postfix less of a
headache to deal with.  Look it up, read through its documentation, and
see what you think.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686