Numlock warning on password entry boxes

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Dec 3 00:25:27 UTC 2011

On 12/02/2011 04:18 PM, Tim wrote:
> I've never seen the point of that.  On every non-laptop keyboard that
> I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
> next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
> So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
> next to them.  And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

I very rarely need to enter more than a few numbers at a time, and
mostly use the ones at the top of the keyboard.  I'd be just as happy
having only the special keys on the keypad, as I almost never have a use
for the other set.  It's a matter of how and when I learned to use the
keyboard, and a personal preference backed by several decades of habit.
  The main reason I mentioned it in the first place was to show that
there are actually people who like to work with numlock off, because if
nobody ever did, there'd be no point in having it at all.