Numlock warning on password entry boxes

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sat Dec 3 05:04:25 UTC 2011

On 12/03/2011 08:18 AM, Tim wrote:
> I've never seen the point of that.  On every non-laptop keyboard that
> I've seen (*), those special keys actually have dedicated keys right
> next to the numberpad (the page up and down, print screen, etc., keys).
> So turning off numlock gives you a second set of the same thing, right
> next to them.  And you lose the ability to quickly enter numbers.

The dedicated keys do produce different codes than those on the keypad....

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7600001,
    root 0x15a, subw 0x0, time 707839323, (166,-10), root:(1405,12),
    state 0x0, keycode 88 (keysym 0xff99, KP_Down), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyPress event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x7600001,
    root 0x15a, subw 0x0, time 707850379, (166,-10), root:(1405,12),
    state 0x0, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I wonder if any application makes use of the differences?  FWIW, I
always run with NumLock on.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless