The Linus view of GNOME 3.2

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Dec 3 01:38:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 20:38 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I'm a long time KDE user and survivor of the move to KDE 4.
>
> Thought some of you may be interested in the view point of Linus....
>
> "Hey, with gnome-tweak-tool and the dock extension, gnome-3.2 is
> starting to look almost usable.
>
> Now I just hope those things become part of the standard gnome shell
> setup and made available in the regular "system config" thing rather
> than hidden off. Sure, make them default to off if you want that "clean
> default", but make them easy to find and part of the standard install.
----
Whatever Linus thinks of Gnome is rather beside the point in that he is
a kernel developer, not a Desktop UI expert and I am rather amused by
those who felt his dis' of Gnome 3 or apparently now his receptiveness
actually matters.

What I did see on the Ubuntu list was a reference to this...

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/things-to-tweak-after-installing-ubuntu.html

which I thought was a rather helpful page and wonder if someone has done
something similar for Fedora (though much of the Ubuntu tweaks are
suitable for Fedora). One of the things I like about Ubuntu is that
there are some resources out there that don't seem to exist for Fedora.

and as long as I am quoting & linking, I found this quote (attributable
to Paul Mauritz of VMWare) to be very intriguing...

"Three years ago over 95 percent of the devices connected to the
Internet were personal computers. Three years from now that number will
probably be less than 20 percent. More than 80 percent of the devices
connected to the Internet will not be Windows-based personal computers."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/can-ubuntu-linux-win-on-smartphones-and-tablets/9843

Craig

believed to be clean.